Sunday, April 10, 2011

Readathon still ongoing!


Dewey's readathon is still ongoing. We are in hour 19 now and I just woke up. I managed to do some more reading in bed in hour 11 and fell asleep somewhere during hour 12.

Hour 19 (8 AM)
I am on official cheerleading duty now. So that will be less reading, more cheering for me in these last hours! I will do some blog hopping soon :) I also participated in some mini challenges that were still running. One of them is to tell people about a character crush. Now I have to be honest and tell you that I don't really have a crush on book characters. I can't really explain why that is, but it just is. However.... if I had to choose.... it has to be Gerry from PS I love you. Just because that is the sweetest thing to do, leaving letters after you die and even planning a trip for your wife and her friends. Yes, it has to be him :)

Hour 20 (9 AM)
I didn't get any reading done, but I have been cheering! I also got to pick a price from the pricelist! I chose Moonface by Angela Bakita. It has been on my wishlist since January, and it was the only book from the list that I had on my current wishlist, so a great opportunity to read it :) I am also participating in some mini challenges again :)

Hour 21 (10 AM)
I really should get back to reading myself. But the mini challenges and the cheering is so much fun! There are people who have been awake for the whole time! And it is awesome to cheer them on!

Picturrific Mini challenge: 
Post a picture that has to do something with the book you are currently reading:

Picture by FreakingNews.com
I am currently reading Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. I find this piggy really weird, of course, but I am also kind of fascinated by it.

Hour 22 (11 AM)
I managed to read two more chapters in Flipped, but I already know that I won't finish this now. Which is fine. I thought I would pick a light read but it is so light that it can't really hold my interest for long. All though I do love Juli as a character.

Hour 23 (12 PM)
I am on page 70 of Flipped. While I did get enough sleep, I am still pretty tired. It is hard for me to focus on such long ends, so I might have asked too much from my brain, but only 2 hours left!

Hour 24 (1 PM) 
I switched from Flipped to Tiny Sunbirds Far Away. I read 43 pages in that book. It is way too long to finish now, but at least it is interesting :)

End of event survey:

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
Hour 11 or so. I tried to stay awake, but I knew I had to get my sleep in anyhow.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
Well the book I am currently reading: Tiny Sunbirds Far Away is really interesting!

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
More information for the cheerleaders :)

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
The rest... I mean the hourly updates were great and all the twitter interaction :)

5. How many books did you read?
1 and then 70 pages on Flipped and now started a new book (43 pages)

6. What were the names of the books you read?
Dewey by Vicki Myron
Flipped by Wendelin van Draanen
Tiny Sunbirds Far Away by Christie Watson

7. Which book did you enjoy most?
I enjoyed Dewey as a light read, but Tiny Sunbirds is really promising.

8. Which did you enjoy least?
Flipped. It was too light to hold my attention.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
We need more cheerleaders for the final hours! Also an updated blog list would be nice because being in the final hour group, I "wasted" lots of time visiting blogs from people who had already finished. A challenge to check in after hour 18, would be helpful so we has cheerleaders can go from there and see who needs the cheering still.

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
I will be there next time. I am not sure yet if I will do both again, but we will see :)

6 comments:

  1. Happy cheerleading and reading, Uniflame!

    I didn't do the crush mini challenge because I couldn't think of anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. That is one strange piggy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats for finishing the 24 Hour Read-a-thoon! You did really good!! I think I am out of my reading slump. Let's see!!!

    Here is my last update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you did really good, reading AND cheerleading. I think I'll be a cheerleader as well next time, for those last hours. Most US people (the majority of the readathoners, I guess) are asleep then, but there are enough readers that need to be cheered.

    Hour 11 was the worst for me too and I also went to sleep at hour 12. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for being a cheerleader at the end -- I was asleep!
    I'm glad you enjoyed Dewey, as a librarian that's a pretty special book to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great readathon for you! And that piggy picture is something else!

    Hopefully in the fall the cheerleaders will be more and better organized. I think the cheerleaders themselves noticed the biggest difference, but it's been smoother in years past. Next time... ;)

    ReplyDelete