Monday, March 19, 2012

Book Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: Dystopia, YA
Subject: Romance, Alternative society
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release date: February 2011
Length: 441 pages
I got this book: Borrowed it from the library

Summary:
From Goodreads:
"Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love."

Personal opinion:
I was curious if this book would live up to the hype so therefore I reserved it at the library. In the beginning I didn't know if I would like this book or not. The story was presented in an interesting way but I didn't think it was that special. However as the story progressed I started to love it more and more. I like the way how Lena's character evolved throughout the story and how much she changed during the story. Alex is also a likable character. He made me curious because he was different and I liked how Lena was slowly drawn to him more and more. In the latter part of the story things move more quickly and we get to see some action. Even though the ending was bittersweet, I liked how it all build up to this and I really want to read the 2nd book in the series. Somehow I do think that this is one of the better dystopian novels I have read but I am not certain why this is exactly.


Loved it!

Purchase links: Amazon
Challenges: Magical March, Dystopia 2012 Challenge
Other reviews: None yet.
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm still on the fence about reading this one. What would you compare it to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe to Matched by Ally Condie. But this one is better.

    ReplyDelete