Sunday, March 11, 2012

Book Review: The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black

Today's review is a bit different because I am going to review 5 books at once.

Title: The Field Guide, The Seeing Stone, Lucinda's Secret, The Ironwood Tree and The Wrath of Mulgarath aka The Spiderwick Chronicles
Author: Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi
Genre: Fantasy,
Subject: Magical Creatures, Family
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Release date: May, 2003
Length: about 130 pages each book
I got this book: Borrowed it from the library

Summary:
From Goodreads: (only book 1 because of spoilers)
"When the three Grace children -- Mallory, Jared, and Simon -- and their mom move into Aunt Lucinda's old house, readers know there's magic afoot. The kids uncover a nest of assembled junk, and on a visit to the secret library via the dumbwaiter, Jared finds a note describing "my secret to all mankind." After a few mysterious pranks that get blamed on Jared, the boy finally digs up the real prize: Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You. Fortunately enough, the kids meet one of the critters listed in the guide -- a brownie named Thimbletack -- who makes it all "real" and helps provide the book's suspenseful conclusion: "'Throw the book away, toss it in a fire. If you do not heed, you will draw their ire.'""

Personal opinion:
A few years ago, I saw the movie and ever since then I wanted to read the book. I had expected that the movie would only cover the events of book one, but it actually covers the events of all 5 the books. I also didn't know this was a children's book.So imagine how surprised I was when I picked this up to find a book with large print and pictures ;) I enjoyed the story nevertheless. The thing that did surprise me why this was split into 5 books to begin with. I reckon that a book of more than 500 pages might be hard to read for most children but story wise it doesn't make sense because the books don't have stand alone endings. They have to be read all five to get the whole story instead of that one story ends and you get to choose if you want to read another book in the series or not. The books weren't very hard to read and it surprised me that the movie was quite true to the events of the books. What I liked most about this book was that elves and dwarves got quite different characteristics than in most other fantasy books I read, without breaking the unwritten rules of how an elf is supposed to look etc. This made this story interesting without having the annoyance of the feeling that things just aren't right. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to try a fantasy story but is put off by the difficulty of most other books in this genre.


I liked it!

Purchase links: Amazon
Challenges: Magical March Challenge, What's in a name challenge
Other reviews: None yet.
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment