Friday, September 30, 2011

Book Review: Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Title: Charlotte's Web
Author: E. B. White
Genre: Children's Book
Subject: Animals, Friendship
Publisher: HarperCollinsPublishers (re-release)
Release date: 1953
Length: 184 pages
I got this book: From the library

Summary:
From Goodreads:
"An affectionate, sometimes bashful pig named Wilbur befriends a spider named Charlotte, who lives in the rafters above his pen. A prancing, playful bloke, Wilbur is devastated when he learns of the destiny that befalls all those of porcine persuasion. Determined to save her friend, Charlotte spins a web that reads "Some Pig," convincing the farmer and surrounding community that Wilbur is no ordinary animal and should be saved. In this story of friendship, hardship, and the passing on into time, E.B. White reminds us to open our eyes to the wonder and miracle often found in the simplest of things."

Personal opinion:
This book came to my attention because of banned books week. Now before this week, I didn't know anything about banned books because in the Netherlands the fuss isn't as great and we hardly censor. I haven't read this book as a child, but according to the bloggosphere, this is one of the must read children's books. Because I really like animals, I decided to pick it up at the library. I read through it in one evening because the story was interesting and entertaining. I would probably had loved this even more, if I read this when I was younger. It would have been my kind of book. But even now there is a lot to gain from this book and there are meanings behind everything. I can really appreciate the small wonders that were part of this book. The book has been written a long time ago, but I didn't really notice that at all. If you have any children in the age of 8-12, please pick this book up for them, because I think that it really is a well written story that most children will enjoy.


I liked it!

Purchase links: Amazon
Other reviews: None Yet
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

1 comment:

  1. YAY - I am so glad you read and enjoyed this book. It really is a classic and sad it has been given such a hard time.

    ReplyDelete