Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Book Review: Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

Title: Girl in Translation
Author: Jean Kwok
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Subject: Immigration, Coming of Age
Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Release date: April, 2010
Length: 293 pages
I got this book: From the library

Summary:
From Goodreads:
"When Kimberly Chang and her mother emigrate from Hong Kong to Brooklyn squalor, she quickly begins a secret double life: exceptional schoolgirl during the day, Chinatown sweatshop worker in the evenings. Disguising the more difficult truths of her life-like the staggering degree of her poverty, the weight of her family's future resting on her shoulders, or her secret love for a factory boy who shares none of her talent or ambition-Kimberly learns to constantly translate not just her language but herself back and forth between the worlds she straddles."

Personal opinion:
I have read this book in almost one go, I only took a small break to have dinner. The story was interesting and I was just taken into Kimberly's life, not able to let go until the end. Though Kimberly does face many hardships, sometimes I found the events happening in this book a little bit too convenient, especially near the end. Still I really enjoyed reading this book because it does give hope to be able to make your own future, no matter how shitty the situation you are in. I don't agree with the choices that Kimberly made at the end of the story and the ending was rather frustrating. It does make the story more realistic though.


I liked it! 

Purchase links: Amazon
Other reviews: None Yet
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

1 comment:

  1. I have this book reserved at the library and I'm really looking forward to reading it! I'm glad you liked it, but too bad about the ending.

    ReplyDelete