Monday, July 25, 2011

It's Monday! What are you reading? (10)

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between! This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! Hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

I have read a whole lot this week. I almost finished 3 books! While this may be normal for others, this is a lot for me ;) I finished Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok. (Review will follow soon.) I also read a Dutch book called "Gevangen in mijn binnenwereld" (trapped in my inner world) by Sun-Mi Venema. This is a non fiction book about a young girl who has the locked-in-syndrome and this was a very interesting read. Currently I am reading "Twijfels over Belgie" (Doubts about Belgium) by Petra Kruijt. This is a chick-lit about a Dutch woman who goes undercover in a commune in Belgium to write columns for a magazine. I normally don't read much chick-lit, but I read about this book on "de Boekblogger" (the Book blogger), the Dutch blog of Leeswammes, and it seemed a fun light read. So when I came across it in the library, I took it home with me. I almost finished this, but I am not sure I will review it here since there isn't an English translation.


Here is a picture of my library loot :) The bottom book is The Gardens of Kyoto by Kate Walbert, which I bought at the library for 1 euro to donate to Abunaicon's Japanese themed BookCrossing shelf. I am not sure if I will read it myself though.As for what I plan to read next, I have no idea yet ;) I might go loot the library again, or check on NetGalley or read off my shelf. I am currently still in the phase where I just want to read whatever calls to me.

I also wrote some reviews in the past week:
Clean by Amy Reed
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua
and on my bento/cooking blog I reviewed the Vegetarian Student Cookbook

What are you reading in the Summer? Are you reading as they come, or do you stick to the schedule even during Summer?

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, some good books, Uniflame. No wonder you're getting through a lot - if they're interesting you just keep reading (well, I do).

    Glad you're enjoying Twijfels over Belgie. Maybe you could do a short review on bol.com or so? (Just a few lines).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Girl in Translation on my shelf waiting for me. I hope you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look like great books...I wonder when will you read the book you have won ;)

    I will be rereading my favorite manga this coming month and some short stories for an event Mel U and I organized together

    ReplyDelete
  4. You read some interesting books this past week! The Dutch one sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reads this week! I have Girl in Translation on hold at the library. I have heard some fantastic things about it! Enjoy your reading!

    My Monday Post: http://www.handsandhome.ca/2011/07/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-21.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great selection and congrats on finishing so many. I only average about one a week so 3 is fantastic! I love that you have such a mix of books.
    My monday post: http://booksinthesun.blogspot.com/2011/07/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-25-july.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been trying to stick to a schedule this year but it hasn't worked yet. I'm hoping to finish up The Wisdom of the Radish by Lynda Hopkins today. Have a great week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3 books in one week would be a lot for me, too. Good job! Enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some very intriguing books on your list! I am currently reading for two challenges and have read more in the last few weeks than the whole year up together! One more month (both end at the end of August) and I can go back to reading about one book a week!! But I am having lots of fun and reading all the new blogs has only made me add to my TBR list!!

    ReplyDelete