Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Book review: My Life with George by Judith Summers

Title: My Life with George
Author: Judith Summers
Genre: Memoirs
Subject: Dogs, Family Life, Dealing With Loss
Publisher: Hyperion / the House of Books
Release date: November 2007
Length: 288 pages (255 for the Dutch version)
I got this book: From the library in Dutch

Summary: 
After Judith lost her husband and her father in the span of two weeks, she and her son Joshua have to deal with this loss. After a few months Joshua asks if they could have a dog. Before Judith knows it she brings home a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel with the name George. She soon discovers that having a dog takes up way more time then she anticipated. And King George is soon ruler of the home.

Personal opinion:
I picked this book up for a light read. The book was comparable with Marley and Me, or so they claimed on the back of the book, and since I really enjoyed that, I expected something similar. Sadly I didn't get what I hoped for. While there are parts of the book that are quite funny because George really has a mind of his own, the book was more about dealing with loss. The author rambles on about her new relationships through the years and George becomes more a background character in these parts. I personally didn't like this development because I wanted to read a book about a dog, and not about relationship drama. In the last chapters George became more prominent again and I read through these fairly quick, while I have to admit that I often only skimmed some of the previous chapters to get through it as fast as I could. I just wasn't bothered to read all of it. As for the people who want to read a book like Marley and Me, don't pick up this book. It is not even close to it. I read this book for the what an animal reading challenge.


Bwah! I didn't like it.

Purchase links:  Amazon

Other reviews: None yet.
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment