Friday, March 11, 2011

Book Review: A Dog Named Slugger by Leigh Brill

Title: A Dog Named Slugger
Author: Leigh Brill
Genre: Non-Fiction, Biography
Subject: Pets, Disabilities, Service Dogs
Publisher: Bell Bridge Books
Release date: April, 2nd 2010
Length: 248 pages
I got this book: From the publisher for review through NetGalley

Summary:
Leigh is living her life with CP and while in college it becomes harder for her to move around. Because she doesn't want to be bound to a wheelchair, she is looking for another way to deal with her disability. This is when she learns about service dogs, and eventually gets her own. This book is about her life with her dog Slugger, who helped Leigh to deal with her disability in a way that fitted her and brought her so much more in the process. 

Personal opinion:
Let me first of all say that I love to read these kind of books because I like to learn more about subjects like these. I applaud Leigh for writing her story down because it helps raise awareness. I thought it was a heart warming story and a very interesting read. I learned a lot through this book, especially about what it means to have the aid of a service dog. It was too bad though that Leigh didn't really explain what CP was, so I had to google it to get a better understanding of the disability. It is an easy read though with a lot of funny moments but also some very sad ones. I did like the first half of the book the best because there seemed to be happening more then in the middle part of the book. I would recommend this book to people who like to know more about service dogs or like pet stories in general. In both cases you won't be disappointed because next to being a service dog, Slugger has a mischievous side when he is not at work.


I Liked it! 

Purchase links: Amazon
Other reviews: None yet
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

This book will be counted for the What an animal reading challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment