Monday, May 6, 2013

Reading Roundup #1 - week 18

I am going to try something new on the blog. A new way of writing reviews. Shorter and easier to get myself writing again on something bookish, I hope. In these posts I will write about what I have read in the past week. Some weeks there won't be a post because I might not have been reading. Let's see if a shorter format will work for me. And who knows, if it does, I might even be able to post about some books I read but haven't written about yet.

In the past week I have read 2 books. Both are Dutch covers from my library books.


The first book is Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi. It is the 2nd part in a Dystopia series. The sky is full of lightning storms which makes it dangerous to live outside. So there are people who live in giant domes and they spend their life in a virtual reality, and live mostly online lives. For the people who live outside, life is harsh. In the first book we get to know Aria, who lives in a dome and Perry who lives outside. I found the first book in this series very strong, and was looking forward to reading this book. It didn't disappoint. Aria and Perry are both strong characters and both of their stories are interesting ones. I often dislike a book that tells stories from 2 views because usually one story is a stronger one than the other. But that is not the case with this book. I know I keep things kind of vague, but I don't want to give too much away. I can say that this book doesn't have the 2nd book syndrome and the story is packed with action and keeps moving forward. Look at goodreads for all the info on this book.


Openhartig is a true story (Dutch only) about living with a serious heart condition. Fighting to get the right treatment, even going abroad to America to do so and raise money to make it possible, are the big themes in this book. However, they are switched up with fragments of day to day life. How to raise a son with this disease and how it effects him when he grows older. This book is one with highs and lows, even people who destroy her disability car, but it is mainly upbeat but without withholding the frustrations and the many difficulties that come with such a disease. It left quite an impression on me. For the Dutch readers: this book is also on Goodreads.


Challenges these books are part of are the Library challenge, wishlist challenge and ik lees Nederlands (I read Dutch) challenge.

Currently I am reading: the bible for non-believers, a Dutch book. And the perks of being a wallflower. Both aren't really pulling me in yet. But who knows :)


1 comment:

  1. The bible for non believers? I'm curious about that one... ;)

    ReplyDelete