Sunday, March 4, 2012

Book Review: Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda

Title: Secret Daughter
Author: Shilpi Somaya Gowda
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Subject: Adoption, Culture differences
Publisher: William Morrow
Release date: March, 2010
Length: 339 pages
I got this book: Borrowed it from the library

Summary:
From Goodreads:
"Moving between two worlds and two families, one struggling to survive in the fetid slums of Mumbai, the other grappling to forge a cohesive family despite their diverging cultural identities, this powerful debut novel marks the arrival of a fresh talent."

Personal opinion:
This book somehow ended on my wishlist last year and because the library had it, I decided to pick it up. This book tells three stories. First of all there is the story of Kavita and Jasu Merchant, who live in India and we get to know how Usha/Asha has come to this world and was given up for adoption. We get to follow the live of this family throughout the book, also after Asha is adopted. The 2nd story is about Somer and Kris. Kris originated for India but now lives with Somer in America. They decide to adopt Asha after it is clear that Somer can't have children of her own. Last there is Asha's story as she grows older and tries to find the ties with India.

I really liked the parts that take place in India. I liked to read about the difficult life of Kavita and Jasu. There are parts that are horrible to read but it gives a lot of insight in the culture of India. I also liked the parts where Somer and Kris and later Asha visit India. They are a richer family in India so through this book you get to see both sides and how different that is. I didn't care so much about Somer's story. It was just that much less interesting and I read about that kind of story a bit too often. I would recommend this book to people who are interested to read about culture clashes or India.


I liked it!

Purchase links: Amazon
Other reviews: None yet.
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

1 comment:

  1. This is on my wishlist too. It's been there for a while, so thanks for reminding me that I need to start hunting down a copy soon.

    ReplyDelete