Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Book Review: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Title: The Handmaid's Tale
Author: Margaret Atwood
Genre: Dystopia
Subject: Alternative Societies, Suppression
Publisher: Anchor
Release date: March, 1996 (originally 1985)
Length: 311 Pages
I got this book: From the library

Summary:
From Goodreads:
"Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now...
Funny, unexpected, horrifying, and altogether convincing, The Handmaid's Tale is at once scathing satire, dire warning, and tour de force."

Personal opinion:
I have to say that I hardly have any bible knowledge at all and that therefore I might have missed certain connections that people who have that knowledge would have made. That being said, I thought that this book read more as historical fiction than as futuristic. This could be because the book is fairly old but I think it is mostly because there isn't any advanced technology in this book. This is also a strength of the story because it feels much more realistic and therefore much creepier. It gave me the feeling that this could just happen, or maybe it already happened somewhere. I enjoyed the last 100 pages of this book the most because at that point the story really takes a leap forward but it also finally explains how this society came to be. The latter part, I found the most interesting part of the book. In the first 200 pages much less is happening and I found it even a bit boring at times. I even put the book down for a bit to read some other books first. But I am glad that I did pick it up again or else I would have missed the best part of the book.


It was okay.

Purchase links: Amazon
Other reviews: None yet.
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment