Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Book Review: The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

Title: The Girl Who Chased the Moon
Author: Sarah Addison Allen
Genre: Magical Realism
Subject: Romance, Oddities
Publisher: Bantam
Release date: March, 2010
Length: 269 pages
I got this book: Borrowed it from the library.

Summary:
From Goodreads:
"Emily Benedict came to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother’s life. For instance, why did Dulcie Shelby leave her hometown so suddenly? Why did she vow never to return? But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew—a reclusive, real-life gentle giant—she realizes that mysteries aren’t solved in Mullaby, they’re a way of life.

Everyone in Mullaby adores Julia Winterson’s cakes. She offers them to satisfy the town’s sweet tooth and in the hope of bringing back the love she fears she’s lost forever. In Julia, Emily may have found a link to her mother’s past. But why is everyone trying to discourage Emily’s growing relationship with the handsome and mysterious son of Mullaby’s most prominent family? Emily came to Mullaby to get answers, but all she’s found so far are more questions."

Personal opinion:
I picked this one up from the library because I really enjoyed reading Garden Spells earlier this year and I wanted to read more from this author. Through her I discovered the magical realism genre and I love how Sarah once again was able to create and environment where magic is intertwined with daily life. I do have to say that the magical elements were more present in this book then in Garden Spells, but I didn't mind that. I am not really into romance stories, yet they can be enjoyable if they are done right. Of course they are a bit predictable but I was able to go with the flow of the story regardless of that. Emily's story was endearing and I loved her personality. I didn't mind to read Julia's story either. Even though I didn't enjoy it as much in the beginning of the book, she did grow on me. This was a nice, light read which I finished in only 2 days. I would recommend this as a summer read for people who are into romances and/or enjoy a little magic in a story. And on a sidenote: Have you seen that beautiful cover?


I liked it!

Purchase links: Amazon
By this author: Garden Spells
Other reviews: None yet
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read Garden Spells yet but it is next on my list of Allen's books that I want to read. She is quickly becoming a favourite author. I love that her stories are light, entertaining and leave you feeling *good*. Sometimes I really need that in my reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful review. Just the thought of a summer romance novel makes me cooo. And thed cover is delightful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete