Friday, August 12, 2011

The Monster Review-a-thon - Update


So I am still participating in the Monster Review-a-thon at the Book Monsters. I have reviewed a grand total of 2/4 books. This isn't the result I had hoped for but without this challenge, I probably wouldn't have written any reviews. Hopefully I will get the other two reviews done within the next two days. I also wrote one snack review on She Likes Bento. This makes a total of three reviews. Anyway, today I want to spend some time on the mini Challenges. While the time could be better spend, writing actual reviews, some of the challenges seem useful enough to have a look at and participating is a lot of fun!

Mini Challenge 1: Rethinking your review format.

1. Are you happy with your review format currently?
Actually I am quite happy with it. I gave my format a good thought when I was participating in the bloggiesta challenge in January and I think it works really well. 

2. Scrutinize it a little more, maybe compare it to other blogs you like, anything you think you might change?
I have seen blogs that add the first sentences of a book. I do like that concept because it does give people a feel of the book. I might add that and lose the quote section, because I hardly use that anyhow.

3. Implement some basic changes and tell us what you think. Or, you can tell us one or two aspects of your reviews that you like.
I am not going to change my template around for now. A thing I do like about my reviews is that I try to give a complete package of information. I include genre, subject, publisher, number of pages, publishing year, a link to a store where the book can be bought. I know that you can find that information elsewhere, but I like it that everything is in one place.

Mini Challenge 2: Cross posting your reviews.

I haven't really done this yet because I don't really see the purpose. I only cross posted when an author asked me to. I do see the purpose for the author because sites like goodreads and amazon are visited more frequently than individual blogs, but for me as a blogger, I would want people to actually visit my blog. If I post all my reviews elsewhere, why would people visit my blog at all? So I ask of you, my fellow book bloggers, why do you crosspost your reviews? What is the purpose?

Mini Challenge 3: Setting up Future review posts.

This is such a useful feature that I started to use already since I became a book blogger. I often use this to schedule reviews from ARCs I received and I need to review close to the publish date. That way I can still post my thoughts when they are fresh in my head :) I also use it to schedule posts for weekly memes when I am out of the house that day :) In fact, the reviews that I did write for this review-a-thon are schedules ahead of time as well.

Mini Challenge 4: Updating review lists. 

I am actually quite on top of my game on this one. It was a huge task when I had to set this up. I know that falling behind on this one, is only more work in the end, so I try to update this list directly after I post a new review. Sometimes one slips through because I scheduled the post beforehand and I aren't actually behind my PC when the review goes up. I tend to be forgetful, but usually I notice when writing my next review.

Well this is it for now :) I might get to the other challenges, but if I do I will edit this page, or maybe post a new post tomorrow. For now, let's see if I can get those other reviews done!

1 comment:

  1. You're doing awesome! So organized! :)

    As for cross-posting it's really to get the word out about books you love or just in general. I never really did it much besides for Goodreads, but have decided to also put them on Amazon. I think you get different reaches on different sites and they may like your review enough to click on your profile, find you blog and start reading here as well.

    Hope you get what you want to get done today! And I hope you're enjoying the reviewathon. :)

    ReplyDelete