Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Book review: Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Title: Wintergirls
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
Genre: YA Fiction
Subject: Eating Disorders
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Release date: March, 2009
Length: 278 pages
I got this book: From the library in Dutch

Summary:
Lia and Cassie were best friends and they both developed eating disorders somewhere in high school. Lia's mother and father are divorced and neither really had time for her. Lia has been treated for her anorexia before and was doing fairly well, but then she heard that Cassie died. Lia hadn't spoke with Cassie in months but why didn't she answer the phone the night before Cassie died when she tried to call her? It all goes downhill from there.

Personal opinion:
I have to say that I was enchanted by the cover of this book. It is such a pretty cover which changes colors when the light shines on it. This book was really interesting and I read it in only two days. There was something about the book that made it hard to put down. Being in Lia's head felt really intense. I loved how the author used crossed out words to display what Lia really was thinking instead of what was the correct thing to say or think. On the other hand I didn't always like the lyrical way she stated things. It felt a bit overdone. The author did her research on the subject though and that showed throughout the story. Lia was a complicated character and it felt believable to me that someone with anorexia could think this way. I have to say that this is the first book I read about an eating disorder so it is not like I am an expert on the subject but it felt real to me. This is probably because the author didn't spare the reader, every detail is told, the obsessive thoughts, the tricking of the people around Lia and the self-harm. Near the end of the book, the pace picked up and did build up to the climax of the book. I do think that it is a pity that I didn't get to know more of Lia's recovery. It felt like it wasn't that important because it was all told in the last 5 pages or so, while to me that would have made the book more complete. I do think that this is a book that people should read, because of the subject and the fact that most people are clueless about how dangerous eating disorders can be. Even though I didn't always liked the writing style, it has certainly made me more aware.


It was okay!

Purchase links: Amazon
By this author: Speak
Other reviews: Beth Fish Reads, Fay-Bay's Books
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment