Sunday, March 27, 2011

Book review: Ravenous by Dayna Macy

Title: Ravenous
Author: Dayna Macy
Genre: Non-Fiction
Subject: Food
Publisher: Hay House, Inc
Release date: February, 2011
Length: 215 pages
I got this book: From the publisher for review through NetGalley

Summary:
Dayna seeks comfort in food. Her relationship with food is complicated and she is an over-eater as long as she can remember. In this book Dayna starts a year long journey to understand her obsession for food. Instead of looking into diets or others, she stays close to herself by examining her weaknesses, travelling to learn more about food and the hold it has on her. 

Personal opinion:
I really enjoyed reading about Dayna's journey on food discovery. Her writing makes me want to visit farms and orchards myself! I find her book very inspiring and I have learned a lot along the way. My relationship with food isn't the same as the writer's, but it sparked me to look at the way I eat myself and that I really want to purchase more organic and pure products. In the book I also got a small taste of the Jewish culture, which was a nice addition. During the journey, Dayna looks back on her childhood and early adult years and what role food played in her life back then. I don't always like flashbacks, but these made total sense and weren't confusing in any way. The only chapter I didn't read, was the chapter about slaughter. I couldn't bring myself to read it because I don't eat meat and I know it would upset me too much. That was they only drawback for me, but for the rest I am grateful for this story since it contained so much. To me, this book has reawakened my own wishes to be more aware about food. A truly inspirational experience.


I liked it!

Purchase links: Amazon
Other reviews: None yet.
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment