Wednesday, March 12, 2014

WOYWW: School update

A while ago I came across a creative meme that is called What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday. It is all about showing what is going on on your workdesk and is hosted by Julia from Stamping Ground. I really like participating, because it is an easy way to show you what I have been working on, and it is fun to visit some other participants :)

My workdesk isn't always at home. Once a month I have a lesson at school. Today I am sharing pictures of my last school day and my workdesk there. We were learning a technique with fine sand (the one use you use in a birdcage.

We had to paint a colorful background at home to work on. I choose spring colors.

Then we had to mix the sand with gesso. Put a thick layer on there and make a pattern in it to bring back some color.

Paint to accent the pattern.

Finished product.

It is an interesting technique but very messy. I don't have pictures of the actual process because I didn't dare to take out my phone ;)


  1. This has turned out lovely. I haven't come across that technique before. #63

  2. What a great technique, bet it's alot cheaper than buying the stuff ready mixed and you can add as much sand as you like, great.
    Thanks for visiting me earlier, Angela #59

  3. I really like your use of sand and gesso! What a great result!

  4. Well that's a first for me, would never have thought to paint with sand but great results. Thanks for visiting earlier, much appreciated.
    Ann B

  5. Thanks for the visit, love your work. Painting with sand is unusual but I love the result. Cx #60

  6. I agree with others -- I've never heard of mixing sand with gesso. I like the spring colors you used to get the canvas ready at home. Welcome to the WOYWW cohort! ~ Laura #14

  7. I love the result, your chosen colours are really cheering! I'm with you on the 'fear to take the phone out''s the respect we were drilled with for our teachers!!

  8. I really love your results. It looks like it has such an interesting texture.

    Thanks for stopping by to see me last week - sorry I am so late catching up :) I just spotted the words 'Project Life' in your post below so am going to take a peep as I want to start that :)

    Carmen x