Friday, August 5, 2011

Book Review: Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess

Title: Such a Pretty Girl
Author: Laura Wiess
Genre: YA
Subject: Sexual Abuse
Publisher: MTV Books
Release date: January, 2007
Length: 212 pages
I got this book: From the library

Summary:
From Goodreads:
"They promised Meredith nine years of safety, but only gave her three.

Her father was supposed to be locked up until Meredith turned eighteen. She thought she had time to grow up, get out, and start a new life. But Meredith is only fifteen, and today her father is coming home from prison.

Today her time has run out."

Personal opinion:
I read this book because I really liked Ordinary Beauty by the same author, which I read earlier this year. I was grabbed by this book and read it in one go. The story was easy to follow and there was enough going on to keep me glued to the pages. I really liked Meredith as a person and I could relate to the way she acted. On the other hand, I didn't think much of her boyfriend Andy. He was such a weak character throughout the story to only come back strong when all the bad stuff was already over and dealt with. He had his own battles to fight, but I just couldn't understand how he could just leave Meredith to face all this by herself. Also just like Ordinary Beauty, the ending was a bit too convenient. I didn't mind it too much, but it seems to be a theme that is going on in both books from this author. Still I enjoyed myself while reading this book. Even though it is quite a heavy subject, it doesn't read as such. I like books that can handle a heavy subject without making it too hard to get through.


I liked it!

Purchase links: Amazon
From this author: Ordinary Beauty
Other reviews: None yet
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment