Saturday, April 16, 2011

Book review: The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan

Title: The Cement Garden
Author: Ian McEwan
Genre: Novel
Subject: Disrupted family life
Publisher: Vintage (2004 edition)
Release date: 1978
Length: 160 pages
I got this book: Through Bookcrossing

Summary:
Jack is 15 and lives together with his dad, mom, his older Sister Julie, his younger sister Sue and his little brother Tom. In the beginning of the book their dad passes away and months after their mom dies of an illness. Desperate to keep the family together and out of foster care, the children try to keep everything secret. But how far will they have to go to keep this up and what affects does this have on their relationships?

Personal opinion:
I came across this novel through bookcrossing and it sounded interesting enough. But I didn't know what I was in for. When I began to read this book, I already had an uneasy feeling about this story. It is shocking and disturbing. I can't tell too much without giving everything away but this novel made me think of what people do to protect what they have and how natural it can feel to make choices that are viewed as utterly wrong by outsiders.  


It was okay.

Purchase links: Amazon
Other reviews: None yet
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment