Saturday, April 2, 2011

Book review: All Different Kinds of Free by Jessica McCann

Title: All Different Kinds of Free
Author: Jessica McCann
Genre: Historical Fiction
Subject: Slavery
Publisher: Bell Bridge Books
Release date: April, 2011
Length: 268 pages
I got this book: From the publisher for review through NetGalley

Summary:
Margaret Morgan is married and lives happily with her husband and her three children. Margaret is a free woman of color in the 1830's, until a bounty hunter comes to collect her and her children to return her to her former owner in Maryland. Margaret tries to hold her family together and fights every step along the way. This is a book, based on a true story, about a remarkable woman who didn't give up.

Personal opinion:
I was drawn into this book after only a few chapters and it was almost impossible to put this down. The story is heartbreaking, having me on the edge of tears, not believing what I was reading. I was rooting for Margaret from the start and I couldn't wrap my mind around all the things that were happening to her and her family. It is unbelievable how cruel people can be and how they treated those people even worse than the animals on their land. It was the first book I read on the subject and while it is covered in history class briefly (I live in Europe), it feels so different to read all the hardships in detail compared to the fact orientated lessons at school. Living in this time and age, it is hard to believe that people were treated that way and in some places in the world probably still are. This is a really powerful story, a must read in my opinion. This book touched me within my core because is it so terrible yet so beautiful all at once.


Loved it!

Purchase links: Amazon
Other reviews: None yet
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for investing the time to read my book and for loving it. I'm so glad you found inspiration in Margaret's story, and I'm honored by your wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I devoured this book in one sitting! What an incredible story, and your review hit the nail on the head. It was wonderful and heartbreaking all at the same time. I couldn't put it down. Congratulations Ms. McCann.

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep posting like this it’s really very good idea, you are awesome!

    paxil

    ReplyDelete